#Chocolate #Poke #Cake #From #Scratch
PREP TIME 45 minutes
COOK TIME 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 30 minutes
SERVINGS 15 servings
AUTHOR Holly N.
This Chocolate Poke Cake From Scratch is one of the most amazing and moist cakes you’ll ever have! A secret ingredient brings out the chocolatey goodness in the cake while adding a rich layer of homemade pudding keeps it extra moist! It’s all topped off with a simple one minute chocolate frosting!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee , cooled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Pudding Layer
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine milk & lemon juice and set aside. (The mixture will thicken slightly)
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, coffee, soured milk, oil and vanilla. Beat medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. (Your batter may seem runny at this point but it will bake up beautifully.)
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Be sure to check the cake at 30 minutes so it doesn’t over cook.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, mix well. Add in cold milk, stir until combined.
- Turn heat to medium high stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute while stirring, remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Poke the cake all over with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour warm pudding over warm cake. Tap the pan allowing the pudding to seep into the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. (Frost after slightly cooled, about 30 minutes)
- Poured Frosting
- In a saucepan, combine milk, butter, & sugar over medium high heat.
- Bring to a rolling boil and allow to boil 45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
Whisk until smooth and shiny and immediately pour over the cake. Refrigerate until set.
NUTRITION INFORMATION Calories: 471, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Sodium: 225mg, Potassium: 304mg, Carbohydrates: 74g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 56g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 295%, Vitamin C: 0.4%, Calcium: 104%, Iron: 2.4%